Saturday, July 25, 2009

I'm so emo, I could join his team

So, there is a drawback to having a substantial gap in age between your children.

I am about to give birth to an infant, while parenting a three year old, and (trying to) raise a pre-teen.

Ouch.

I am not prepared for this.  I do not know what to do.  He has become a totally different person overnight.

Half of me wants to just ignore him, I am not even going to lie.  I mean this kid is rough!  Mean. Crabby, hormonal, pissy, and SMELLY.

But the other half of me?  Misses my baby.

Where has he gone?!  I never see him anymore, unless he needs food, money, or a ride.  When he is home and in the family room, it is to snap at someone, or pick a fight with whoever is in arms reach.  He gets phone calls all day long, and so many friends stopping by that when I get sick of it, I make it look like no one is home and ignore the doorbell.  Which, oh my GAWD, it is too hot right now to close up all the shutters!

His face is breaking out.

His armpits REEK.

He worries about what he is wearing.

He notices GIRLS, and then points them out to me.

When did this happen?!  In any given day, even just a thirty minute span, I careen from potty mess clean ups to hormonal outbreaks over not having Ramen noodles!  And I am the hormonal pregnant one in these parts folks!

But now, I miss the baby stage.  I miss when he toddled behind me asking "Why why why".  I miss when he used to get excited about visiting me at work for ice cream sundaes.  Or when he loved being the only kindergartner sitting in on my college classes.  Now he won't even be seen with me in public!

So my solution?  I am still not sure.  I go back and forth between hiding from my children to read Twilight and play Bubble Blaster, and crying to my husband about (damn near anything) having more children A.S.A.P.

It is a double edged sword folks, and I am getting both sides.

XOXO,
J.Danger


7 comments:

Cristine said...

HUGS! I am not looking forward to that pre-teen/teen stage. I'm not gonna lie... it worries me! Your post makes me want to go wake up my kiddos, hug them, and hold on tight. They grow up way too fast.

Anonymous said...

you can always come hide out over here--a certified 100% kid-free zone. i work with teenagers on a daily basis and need peace and quiet at the end of my day.

don't worry...it does get better when they finish high school. :)

musicjunkie said...

Awww Jess, but I do agree with bookline, I avoided my mom like the plague until after I graduated, and our relationship continues to flourish.

For the breakouts....a concoction of lime juice and sugar will help. And not as harsh as your OTC treatments (or as pricey).

Bookfool said...

It does get better. My eldest was a pain during high school and he's still a bit nuts, but now he's acting like an adult at least part of the time. And, he's getting married so he'll be HER problem. Hahaha.

My youngest was a nuisance as a pre-teen and at 17 is a total doll. He plays video games too much and he can be a little arrogant, but he's a sweetheart. And, he loves showers!! If you can teach the kid to love showers, that will help a bit. I won't tell you my eldest still says he only showers because he has to and he still can't stand water. So weird.

Bybee said...

My son was hell on wheels when he was that age. His mouth went full-tilt. I thought I was going to have to kill...someone. Then we bonded over a read-aloud of Catcher In The Rye.

Lesley said...

Boy, that sounds like a lot of fun.

By the way, I haven't forgotten about sending your book and it hasn't been lost in the mail. It is on the top of my dresser waiting for my delinquent self to get to the post office. :(

trish said...

Glad I'm at least 14-15 years away from THAT! :)